I most definitely do not want to do things the hard way ! My problem is that
instead of a gradual immersion into the sea of Ubuntu, I found myself cast
in head first, sink or swim. Thus my command of the operative system leaves
much to be desired, and my attempts to activate East Asian language
programmes have not been crowned with success (I have, however, been able to
convert my keyboard from Swedish to Norwegian and back again - something of
which I fear I am inordinately proud)....

Your statement to the effect that OOo does not currently convert
pinyin or romaji
to graphs sounds ominous, but when you mention that there are IMEs (which
presumably perform just these tasks), I scent a reprieve under the gallows.
Does any list member know if there are IMEs that work with Ubuntu and OOo
2.0 that could be downloaded from the net ? Plucking the graphs one by one
from the Table de caractères Unicode <http://unicode.coeurlumiere.com/> is
not an alternative....

Henri

2006/12/6, users@openoffice.org <users@openoffice.org>:

Henri wrote:

> I simply modified my keyboard software by choosing the respective
language

That is a function of your operating system.  If you want to do things
the hard way, there is/was a virtual keyboard macro for OOo, that can be
adapted for those transliterations.

> and then wrote the pinyin transcription for the Chinese graphs I needed
> and/or the romaji transcription for Japanese versions and the kana.

Currently, OOo does not convert pinyin or romaji to the appropriate
glyphs.  :(

There are a couple of IMEs that work with OOo.  Somewhere on
OOoAuthors.org is a document ( for OOo 1.1.x) that discusses using OOo
with various writing systems, and languages.

xan

jonathon

老朽
頓首