Hi Abu

I just bought a new laptop, and did not install MS Office (!) I'll try
running just OOO. However, is there a way I can do without Outlook
when I use it to synch my Windows Mobile 2005 device's contacts and
calendar? Is there an open desktop calendar application that will sych
with my handheld contacts and calendar lists?

There are not many options at the moment. Mozilla is working on a solution for syncing with Thunderbird, but that isn't ready yet.

There are a variety of Pocket PC synchronising programs at
http://pocketpccentral.net/software/sync.htm

I assume that most of them cost money. Some are interesting, allowing you to sync with Google Calendar, or the Plaxo PIM.

My wife successfully uses Missing Sync to synchronise everything on the Mac with default Mac OSX programs. That works well.

Assuming you're using Windows, there are probably even more options. Your first difficulty will be finding a suitable PIM for syncing with! I'm looking forward to this improving in the future.

Adrian