Hi, all-

Since my previous posting, we've run dozens of tests trying to work out a
pattern to the failures. The problem appears to be related to the internal
format of the video file. We've tried three different formats, with the
following results:

1. AVI, "Motion JPEG" codec - no failures

2. AVI, "Radius Cinepak" codec - no failures

3. AVI, "Internal DV decoder" - some successes, many failures

We determined the internal format using VirtualDub and AVIcodec. They were
in agreement for all except the third type. VirtualDub calls it "Internal DV
decoder" and AVIcodec calls it "Sony Digital Video". In any case, these
files were created by Adobe Premiere Elements which claims to be producing a
file type of Microsoft DV AVI, using a compressor called DV NTSC.

The syndrome includes the following bad behaviour:

1. After a half-second or so of video, display of the video is replaced by a
black screen, although the audio continues.

2. Sometimes the slide background colour (black, in our case) is
over-written with white.

3. It's flaky: videos that never played yesterday play perfectly today and
vice versa; some alternate between working and failing, etc.

4. It seems that displaying a few static slides before trying to play a
video in a slide makes a failure more likely.

So, I would suggest that until this is sorted out, people experiencing flaky
video behaviour in Impress (on Windows) try to avoid DV AVI files.

Peter