Rob:

Maybe i should clarify the situation.  We allow anyone to post anything to this
list.  If you are not subscribed, this goes to a moderator's mailbox which is
then reviewed and if the message applies to this list, it is allowed through.
If you decide to subscribe, you can post at will.  However, you can subscribe
simply by posting a message to the subscription address, I propose replacing
this with a subscription web page where new visitors will be advised of the
existence of the mailing list archive and its use.  This would be like the web
page for posting issues to the Issue Tracker.  There would be no absolute
requirement to look through the archives, but this might reduce the amount of
help me duplications.  I also would add that we have a lot of traffic on
assistance for Mac OS X users that could not understand why they had to use
X11.  The Mac OS X download page now includes a link to the FAQ which includes
a lengthy document on installing and using X11.  A FAQ that explains what a
1935 error is for Windows users and why OpenOffice.org causes it can help, too.
The addition of a link the a Wiki and a request to read through it, will also
assist in reducing this type of traffic.  This will leave those of us here who
provide assistance to help users with other less common problems and to find
problems with the program.  The addition of Web Forums will assist, but the
forums at OOoForums mostly go unused, and might here if the mailing list
remains.  Of course, the idea of mailing replies only to the sender if the
sender is not subscribed as well as to the list would only encourage folks to
not read through any of the items above, which in most cases answers people's
questions.
What do other readers think of the requirement to post through a web page if
you are not subscribed using a simple form like this:
Your e-mail address:
Subject of your question:
Details on what you are trying to accomplish or problem:

Note:  Your message will be reviewed prior to posting to the appropriate
mailing list by a volunteer.  This will take time.  You will receive a reply
from the reviewer if you question can be answered by this person.  This answer
will also be added to the archives.

James McKenzie