On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 00:41:49 AM -0000, rob ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> James and Marco
>
> I accept that cutting down e-mail traffic is important

The fastest and easiest ways to contribute to reduce traffic are: to
NOT send multiple copies of the same message (direct _and_ to the
list) if your email client makes it possible and, even better, to not
repost whole messages that every list subscriber already received.

> I think in the short term having it available and making sure that
> the majority of questions are answered in a way that any
> inexperienced users can understand and use them first would at least
> stop multiple updates of the web site.

Me, I did _not_ ask that the web site is updated (with the exception
of writing real big, just once, that the support here is from
volunteers, not a paid call center).

Speaking of answering question, the problem is that now many questions
are either:

not answered at all (because most experienced users just avoid like
plague any list managed like this (*))

or answered in a way (tolerating and keeping alive empty or
uninformative subjects) that makes it very hard for a newbie to find
them in the archives, that is to avoid repeated questions. Since Jan
1st (1 week) I have seen 23 _ANSWERS_ to this list with the ONLY
subject of "YOU MUST GIVE A SUMMARY HERE"

All this has nothing to do with multiple updates of the website. It is
the current behavior of the current volunteers which is very
inefficient.

Ciao,
        Marco