Couldn't help thinking that this is one of those instances where a slight
modification to OOo could result in a fairly large step forward in user
friendliness. Consider, for example, how much easier things would be for new
users if, instead of opening the Writer programme and then proceeding to
File→New and then choosing from the options available - a procedure which is
simple enough, but rather difficult to guess if one doesn't know it - a user
could gain access to these latter through a hidden menu obtained by
right-clicking on the OOo icon on the desktop or the Quick Start tray. I
myself have no difficulties, as on my Ubuntu 6.10 set-up,  when I do
Applications→Office all of the OOo apps are shown, but as most users
probably have a Windows OS installed, the procedure I outlined above would
almost certainly be felt to be more «intuitive» (my guess is that Michael
Epstein probably tried it before writing his letter). Not being a developer,
I don't know if the technical obstacles to doing this are insurmountable -
perhaps someone who is could advise ?...

Henri