On Monday 22 January 2007 10:49 am, Abu_Adam Al-Naruujiy wrote:
> Thanks again. I don't have a problem with getting Hindi characters
> to appear. The problem is that I need to have OO print Hindi
> numerals in the context of Arabic text, and Arabic numerals in the
> context of English text - automatically. Right now I can choose
> either or, but cannot change according to context.
>
> Abu Adam
>
> On 1/22/07, Dotan Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 22/01/07, Abu_Adam Al-Naruujiy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Thank, I have my Microsoft XP "Digit Substitution" setting set
> >
> > "Context".
> >
> > > This makes Word behave correctly, but not OO. Under Complex
> > > Text Layout
> >
> > in
> >
> > > Language Settings in OO I have tried to set it to "System",
> > > which gives
> >
> > me
> >
> > > Hindi numerals, even in English context. The other two options
> > > are Hindi
> >
> > and
> >
> > > Arabic. I don't know what I can do to make numerals change with
> > > context beyond this.
> > >
> > > Abu Adam
> >
> > I've never heard of Digit Substitution but it sounds like MS
> > garbage that they put in the MUI packages. Just use an Arabic
> > locale that types in Hindi characters. I think that you can even
> > just change fonts to get the same effect, to tell you the truth.
> > What country are you in? Do your usually use Hindi numerals in
> > everyday use in your country? For instance, I know that the
> > Egyptians and Jordanians use Hindi, but the Lebaneese and
> > Palestinians use Arabic.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/133/cranberries.html
> > http://technology-sleuth.com/question/what_is_a_firewall.html

       Why can't you create a character style for your numbers: one
for Hindi numerals and another for Arabic numerals? In the Font tab
of each character style, set the font you want to use and the
Language that will give you the appropriate numerals. Then select the
appropriate style before entering a number, and select Default after
entering the number.
     For more information on Styles, see the styles chapters in the
Writer's Guide available at:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/.

Dan