Hi Cathy,

If you have the original system CD/DVD, all you have to do is install X11 - you _don't_ have to re-install your system just to add X11. There are no 'consequences' of installing X11, other than that you'll be able to have X11 on your computer. I'm happily running OOo 2.1 in X11 on my 10.4.8 Powerbook. No problems whatsoever.

HTH,

Alex.