That was a lot quicker experiment than I thought it would be. I re-opened moo.odt (the document I created and saved just before hand-editing Writer.xcu.) and found that the tabstops in it were at 36 pt. I started a new document; in it, tabstops are being entered at 18 pt.

Donald.

Donald H Locker wrote:

Is the Quickstarter maybe causing Writer to not re-read the Writer.xcu? I know I don't have a Quickstarter running, so it doesn't affect my results.

HTH,
Donald.

John Jason Jordan wrote:

[snip]

I followed all the above steps. The new template is now the default.
When I saved it I had set the default tab stop in Tools > Options >
Writer > General to 21.6 points. I shut down the computer and restarted
it, then launched Writer. Going into Tools > Options > Writer >
General, the default tab stop is still 56.7 points.

Today I found something else that I tried to use to force the change.
In /home/jjj/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office
there is a file called Writer.xcu. I opened this in a text editor and I
found a line that said:

   </prop>
   <prop oor:name="TabStop" oor:type="xs:int">
    <value>762</value>
   </prop>

[snip]