John Jason Jordan wrote:
I've been going through OOo hell lately. Everything was just fine when
I used OOo 2.0.2 under Ubuntu Dapper amd64. But one day Dapper screwed
me royally ...

Oh man, that is hell. I wish I had some suggestions, but I have no experience with or access to Ubuntu or 64-bit hardware.

I couldn't tell: have you tried any of the OO.org downloads? Oh wait, I guess they don't have any 64-bit builds. Never mind--sorry.

With your hint however, I did find that the change came with Gtk 2.10:

GTK+ - GTK+-2.10 Release notes
http://www.gtk.org/gtk-2.10-notes.html

GTK+ 2.10 Specific Notes

* The hexadecimal Unicode input feature has been reworked. It no longer
  blocks the use of the sixteen Ctrl-Shift-<hex digit> key sequences. Now
  it only uses Ctrl-Shift-u.

And some helpful discussion here:

rrwo hates software: Gnome's Character Map
http://rrwo.hates-software.com/2006/12/14/e1bad4d7.html

As Fedora 5 is still using Gtk+ 2.8, that explains why Ctrl+Shift+u doesn't work for me. But it still doesn't explain why OOo doesn't use the old Ctrl+Shift+xxxx.

Thanks for your feedback; I hope you get things settled down soon.

<Joe