On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:14:23 -0800
NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> On 02/24/2007 01:29 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > Excellent suggestion! Don't know why it never occurred to me to do that
> > -- error messages can be very revealing. When I launch writer I get:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ oowriter
> >
> > (process:28062): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2240: initialization
> > assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function
> >

> [snip]
>
> > (process:28062): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_screen_get_font_options:
> > assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

> My guess is that those indicate that you have a system problem with your
> Gdk & Glib libraries via AMD64. See:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk-qt-engine/+bug/41351
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ia32-libs-openoffice.org/+bug/78738
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=ia32-libs&search=Search
>
> If you are going to use ubuntu-desktop & the meta package *I'd* try:
>
> Code:
> su
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get -f install build-essential
> apt-get -f install linux-kernel-headers
> apt-get -f install ia32-libs
> apt-get -f install ubuntu-desktop
> apt-get -f install openoffice.org
>
> You may already have the latest for some of the above, but if not that
> will ensure that you do. The -f will 'force' a new install even if the
> package shows that it is the latest & greatest version
>
> I'd also update/reinstall all of your gdk & glib's plus your locale.
>
> If you want to do it with out try:
>
> Code:
> su
> apt-get -f remove ubuntu-desktop
> apt-get -f remove openoffice.org
> apt-get -f install build-essential
> apt-get -f install linux-kernel-headers
> apt-get -f install ia32-libs
>
> Download the RPM package for OOo 2.1 from OOo. Note: interesting that
> the download page
> (http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html?focus=download) shows
> Linux >2.2.13(120MB) - I'm downloading to see exactly what that is but
> the download shows OOo_2.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz). Extract
> via the archive manager. Rename the directory where the archive manager
> extracted the files to something simple like 'OOo'. ia32-libs has been
> suggested in other installs for amd64 - Google +
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/libs/ia32-libs
>
> From a terminal:
> su
> cd OOo
> cd RPMS
> alien -k -v *.rpm
> dpkg -i *.rpm
> cd desktop-integration
> dpkg -i openoffice.org-debian-menus_2.1.5_all.deb
> killall gnome-panel
>
> give it a moment, then Applications|Office|OpenOffice.org 2.1 Writer
>
> Note: I recommend that you *not* use 'sudo' for this. The folks over at
> Mozilla figure that 'sudo' is seriously broken for some applications and
> [...]

NoOp:

Thanks for the detailed suggestions. I think I will try your
instructions. However, I have a couple big papers due Monday, so this
will have to wait until Tuesday night.

I should add that I did already install 2.1 from amd64 .debs I found on
the net. It didn't work well at all (bad display problems), but I
didn't check any features like the wizards and connecting to a
database. Also, who knows how well done the .debs were -- they were
from a site in Finland, not OOo, as I recall.

I have archived your message so I can do it Tuesday. If it solves my
problems I know a number of amd64 Edgy users who have similar problems.
You will become famous and Ubuntu will give you a croix de guerre or
something. Well, they ought to, anyway. :)