Roland Sapsford wrote:

I have been using Open Office Draw and I can't seem to find an option
to change the colours of individual characters (mostly text). It seems
possible to change the colour of an entire drawing object, but I can't
see how to create - for example - yellow text on a black background. In this example, if I change the colour of the object as a whole to yellow and then make the area colour black, all I end up with is a black area
with no text on it.  Sending the object forward or back doesn't help
either.

I presume you have added text using the "T" text tool? Enter that text block; highlight the characters you want to change colour. Then:
Format|Character|Font Effects|Font Color.

Or, when you are inside the text box, there should be a tool bar font color icon (looking like a capital A with a bar under it).

--
Bob Long