From: Terry Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 28 February 2007 07:18
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: [users] Removing formatting marks from Calc cells

I hope I can explain this clearly:

I use Calc (OOo 2.1, Windows XP Home, SP2) to open an .xls file created
by a FoxPro 2.4 (DOS) application.  Don't ask why, it would take too
long.  Some fields contain a ' (single quote or tick) at the beginning
of the content.  From memory, this is how Lotus 123 indicated that what
followed should be treated as text, rather than a numerical value.  I
need to remove these formatting marks so that dates are treated as dates
and numbers as numbers.

I have tried Search and Replace, copying the ' and pasting it into the
"Search" field, but I receive a disheartening beep and "Search string
not found".

I can manually remove then by using F2,Home,Delete,<Enter>, but that's a
bit pedestrian.  I've also tried recording a macro to automate these
keystrokes, but that simply replaces the content of every cell with the
content of the one I used to make the recording.

Can it be done, and if so, how?

Terry

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.