2007/3/26, Dave King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi. I'm using Open Office 2.1, and I love it, however, the spell checker
does not work. Do I have to link it to another program with a spell check (
i.e. Outlook Express)?

Regards
Dave King

Hello Dave,

OpenOffice.org has its own spell checker abilities (for an impressive list
of languages).
In OOo, language is linked to the character (font). So you can bloc some
text, chose Format > Character > Font and chose the language.
If there is a sign Vabc next to the language, you have the dictionary for
this language installed.

OOo works with templates and styles (paragrapgh, page). So it's best to link
the language to the style and template.
If you only use one language, the choice in Tools > Options > Linguistics >
Language > Standard document language determines which dictionary will be
used (again, look for the Vabc sign)

More dictionaries can be installed with the DicOOo macro: File >
Wizard/Assistant > Install new dictionaries will help you through the
motions.

You might also look at the inbuild help (F1) and the Guides (
http://documentation.openoffice.org)

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo 2.2 RC 4 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger