Terry
----- Original Message ----- From: "TerryJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Calc problem

John Gregson wrote:

I have been using MS Office for years, but not at a very high level.
I have just downloaded and started using Open Office 2.2; Windows version.
I am having a bit of a problem, no doubt caused by my lack of knowledge.

I imported a spreadsheet from MS Excel 2003 into Calc without any
problems.
This spreadsheet contains mostly text, with no formula.

When checking the imported spreadsheet I noticed a very minor spelling
error; this error was also in the Excel spreadsheet.
This error was in a 'window' (my term) that is part of the Excel
Spreadsheet. This window does not contain any lines for rows or columns;
it
only contains text that I have manually typed in.
This is a NOTE window containing comments on the data in other parts of
the
spreadsheet.

In Excel I can easily edit this text, but in Calc I cannot.

When I select this 'Note window', in Calc, I get 8 green squares, and an
Anchor icon at the upper left corner.
The size of this 'Window' is 7 col x 8 rows

The cursor changes to one with 4 tiny arrows.

How do I edit my text in this window?

The fact that I can import this 'window' from Excel into Calc implies, to
me, that Calc recognizes this 'window'; but I just do not know how to work
with it.

I went through the chapter on Calc but could not find anything that helps
me.
I have been having problems using this Mail List; this is my trird try.

I have since learned from the support forum that the above problem is a
'bug' in Calc ??

If so, then please forgive this posting, but I do want to see if I can
indeed post to the List.

John Gregson
Dawson Creek, BC Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Welcome.  I'm using an older version of the software but I doubt that this
much has changed.

You probably need to get the "window" into what is called "Design Mode".
The only way to do that by default is View >Toolbars >Form Controls.  You
get a new, floating toolbar. The icon at the top on the right turns "Design
Mode" on or off.  If that solves your problem, you will want to turn the
mode off again when you have finished and make the toolbar go away by using
the same View> command or the close "x" on the toolbar.

There is a shortcut you can add to the menu, toolbar or keybinding. I have added it to the Insert menu. Use Tools >Customise. On the Menus tab, press
"Add".  Select the Category "Controls" and you will find the Function
"Design Mode On/Off".

Thanks for your feed-back; but that did not solve the problem.

John.