You might download the current OpenOffice version (2.2) from the OOo download area and install that instead. I don't remember whether it requires the newer installer or not. Regardless, it is better than the 2.0.4 that you have now, and there is not real upgrade path. Upgrading consists of installing the newer product. <http://download.openoffice.org/2.2.0/contribute.html?product=OpenOffice.org&os=win&lang=en-US&version=2.2.0>

For the installer, download and install that from <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en> It will do a "Genuine Windows" check, so you need to have the CD from your original install or the label that came with it. At that point, you should be fine.

HTH,
Donlad.

Gerard Chrzanowski wrote:
Anyone:
I purchased OpenOffice 2.0.4 CD, as my WinOffice2000 is incomplete. (Partial Install on machine which I bought used) After arrival, I anxiously tried to install it. It would not install on my W98SE. The following occoured: "Insall Software" prompt appeared. clicked 'yes' got message:"Package requires New Version of Windows Installer...Do you want to install it now?" clicked 'yes' got: ! - Device Already Exists! Clicked 'OK' got: X - Setup Unable to find File! Clicked 'OK" Install Aborted. Tried 12 Different ways.--Cannot Install. Any ideas, or did I waste the $15.00 on this program, and it needs to be installed in 'File 13'?? Anybody Help?