In an attempt to fix various problems in OOo I searched in Synaptic on
"openoffice" did a complete removal of everything installed. I also did
a complete removal of everything Synaptic showed as residual. Then I
deleted the .opernoffice.org2 folder in my home folder. My plan was to
eliminate any vestiges of OOo so that a new, fresh install would start
out without hangups. Then I installed OOo 2.2 (using the metapackage in
Synaptic), plus the hyphenation and help files.

When I launched it two things occurred:

1) It opened in the same window size that I had used before. The Styles
        toolbar was floating off to the right, as I had used it before.
2) All the text in the menus appeared in some kind of symbol font

So the questions are:

1) If I want all vestiges of it to be gone, what do I have to delete
        besides the ~/.openoffice.org2 folder?
2) Where did that symbol font come from and what possessed OOo to think
        I would be able to read it?