LES COLEMAN escribió:
Hi Dan, Thanks for replying. Please forgive my naiveity. I'm not an
I.T. person. I've been asked (told) to conduct a study into valid
alternatives to the Microsoft Office. One idea that came up in the
boardroom conversation was to create a VPN, load the Microsoft
replacement (OpenOffice) on the host server, thus requiring a single
version of the software, and then access via web-browsers (IE or
Firefox) using either public or private lines. Nothing would actually
be installed at the workstation end. Are you aware of OpenOffice
being used in this way? Regards, Les.

Near yes.

If you want to use a VPN you will need to install some software or hardware on the client end.

If you just use normal internet, It can done it with only a browser and java installed on the end-user computer.

The server was runing Linux, NXServer (commercial version), apache and OpenOffice.

Javier.