The quickest and easiest method I know for coping with your scattered fractions
is to write a simple macro. The operation is to highlight 7/8 (or any fraction
of your choice) with the mouse, turn on the Macro Recorder, hit FORMAT >
CHARACTER > POSITION and click on superscript. Assign a convenient key
combination, such as Ctrl+2, and stop the Macro Recorder. Then, each time you
encounter one of your fractions, you simply highlight it and hit Ctrl+2, or
whatever key combination you assigned. Additionally, you can also click on a
smaller point size until you get the look you want. Sometimes I've had to use a
different font for a superscript or subscript. For clarity, I've rarely reduced
the point size by more than 2 pts.

Brian Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  At 10:52 18/07/2007 -0400, Ira G. Tournour wrote:
>What's the fastest and best way to create a lot of fractions with in
>a large volume of text? Fractions such as, 7/8, 3/16, 5/6, BUT in
>superscript/subscript format?

I don't know a fast way, but here's what may be the best:

In the Writer document, go to Insert | Object > | Formula. The Maths
Command window appears at the bottom of the screen. Enter the
appropriate code here to create the required fraction, in your case
"7 over 8" and similar (no quotes). (Right-click in this window or
use View | Selection to see other possibilities.) Return the cursor
to the Writer windows to see the result.

You can adjust the position of the resulting fraction in the Writer
window, but not apparently its size. To adjust this, before you
leave the Maths window, use the various options in the Format
menu. Once the fraction appears in the Writer window, you can still
modify it by selecting it and then using right-click | Edit.

Note in particular that the fractions you create can be copied and
pasted around in the Writer document, so you may need to create each
unique fraction only once.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker