Tim, old man... there are a few things you should probably understand before
you continue:

1. OpenOffice is a big program created and maintained and by thousands of
programmers, writers, organizer-managers, and other interested people, all
around the world. They do this for free. They have all sorts of reasons why
they contribute their skills and effort, but they do, and we benefit. The
result of their effort is the OpenOffice suite, with the word processor
application, the spreadsheet app, the drawing app, the database app... and
so on, and it's all free. No cost.

2. The OpenOffice program can be run on any of several operating systems.
You call your operating system "Microsoft Windows" (I'm betting), but there
are several others that you have never met, such as Mac OSX (from Apple
Computer), Linux, and a bunch of others.

3. Programs that are created for a specific Operating System (OS) do not
directly work on another OS. They have to be "ported" - which means,
re-designed and re-compiled for each operating system. (Keep reading - this
part will make sense in another moment)

4. The primary way in which OpenOffice office suite (the big program) is
made available (absolutely for free) to people all around the world is by
download from the central website called http://openoffice.org .

5. On that site, the friendly and helpful people who created the program,
and who created (and tested) specific versions of it that can be installed
and will work on the different operating systems, have separated the
different versions, so that you can download only the one that works on your
operating system (we assume that's Windows in your case).

6. However!! There are still people in this world who do not have fast
internet connections. Or, there are people who use strange internet
"services" that make big downloads difficult. For them, it is very
inconvenient and time-consuming to download the huge files that constitute
the latest versions of OpenOffice. So, to answer that difficulty, some
helpful persons have done the downloading and have created CDs or DVDs that
can be sent via surface mail or courier to the persons desiring to load
OpenOffice on their computers. Some of those nice people perform this
service for free. Some charge just the (minimal) cost of the blank CDs or
DVDs, plus the postage charges - that is, they cover their costs, but don't
make a profit. Some charge extra, because they believe that customers will
pay a premium for convenience. All of them are taking something that you can
have absolutely for free, and providing the extra service of downloading it
to their own computers and burning it onto CDs that they make available.

7. You probably paid one of those latter two groups. You got some disks in
response. I can think of two likely reasons why they don't work:
 a) somebody got careless and just sent two blanks, forgetting to burn the
OpenOffice software onto them.  OR
 b) somebody sent you disks that DO have software, but it's for a different
operating system... so Windows tells you that those disks are blank (even if
they have hundreds of files on 'em).

8. If somebody actually went to the trouble of sending you the disks, then
it's unlikely they were intentionally ripping you off. So you are left with
a mistake on somebody's part. If you don't know about other operating
systems, you might have inadvertently ordered the wrong version, thinking it
didn't matter (or being entirely unaware of the distinction). If it wasn't
you, then it might have been an error on the vendor's website or an error by
the person fulfilling your order.

9. In any case, your beef (which is legitimate - we just need to discover in
which particular way it's legitimate) is with the people with whom you
placed your order, and to whom you sent your money. You have sent your
e-mail complaint to a group of several thousand USERS of OpenOffice, who are
on this list to help each other get the most out of the program. We are not
the people who took your order and sent you wrong/bad disks. We probably
don't even know who did. It could be anybody in the world.

10. In other words, we (all the other OpenOffice USERS on this mailing list
- users@openoffice.org) are in no position to help you, except to explain
things. And we can help explain only how to install the program and how to
use it. We have no influence with the people who sold you your disks.

11. You can try to re-trace where you placed your order and sent your money,
and contact those people directly, to get working disks that are intended
for your operating system.

12. If you have a reasonably fast internet connection, you can do your own
download and avoid any more shipping hassles. Just
 - go to http://openoffice.org ,
 - click the big green button that says "get openoffice.org version 2.2.1",
 - when that page opens, click the big green bar that says "Download
OpenOffice.org  Select your operating system, and off you go"
 - when the next page opens, the big green bar has gotten really big and has
links for seven different platforms -- pick the one that most closely
matches the computer you are using (because you are an AOL user, I'm
guessing that your computer is running Windows, or maybe Mac OSX)
 - you'll get yet-another-page with a green button, because these
OpenOffice.org people are just like PBS on television... always asking for
donations... it's something you put up with (you could even donate later, if
you like the OpenOffice program, but for now...) just click that green
button that says "continue to download".

13. If your computer has at least 100MB of free space, the files will be
downloaded, and when it's finished, you can start clicking and installing.

14. - ADDENDUM   You might have noticed, on the way to getting through all
those steps, that on the second page (above) there was an option to purchase
OpenOffice on CDs, instead of downloading.  That's just a convenient list of
people (not part of the OpenOffice.org team) who offer CD-burning and
shipping service. It says right on that page that the links are just a
convenience, and that OpenOffice.org can't vouch for any of the people on
the other end of those links. Some of them are nice people. Some of them are
efficient business operators. Some of them might be well-intentioned, but
not very organized or meticulous... And some of them might be crooks. You
take your chances.  But if you already used one of those links and paid
somebody some money, then follow that link again to find the people you were
dealing with.  Those people, as I said above, are not us.  We are just
people who installed the program (OpenOffice) on our own computers and use
it, and are helping each other with technical questions on this mailing
list.

15. AND FINALLY With your e-mail (below) you just broadcast your physical
address and snail-mail address to the entire world. Are you sure that's a
good idea?
There's no privacy on a public mailing list.  If I were you, I would be
checking my bank, credit-card, and other statements really carefully for
evidence of identity theft... for about the next ten years or so.

You OK with all that, Tim?  (AOL might have "protected" you from a message
this long...  :-)

Hope this helped.
Is anybody still awake?
Anybody read this far?
Did I tell any lies?  :-)

Kevin   somewhere in Ottawa, Canada

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be
privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected from disclosure. If you
replying to this message and deleting it from your computer without copying or
disclosing it.