Hi Carrie

Ok, OO is the default. I only have the trial version of Word which came with the comp when I bought it.
Here is what I am noticing.  Any saved documents I am able to open.

Here's a guess at your problem. I'm guessing that you created some documents with the trial version of Microsoft Word 2007, and then tried to open them in OpenOffice.org.

If this is the case, there's a very simple explanation to your problem: OpenOffice.org can not (yet) open documents in Microsoft's new docx format. I'm sure that in one of the next versions of OpenOffice.org that it will be possible.

In the meantime, you need to make sure you save them (in Word) as doc files (Microsoft Word XP files). You should then be able to open them in OpenOffice.org.

I hope this helps. If I have guessed wrongly, please try to explain your problem in different words.

Adrian