I am using OpenOffice v2.04 for Linux, and am very new with it.

Most of what I want to use it for will be in English, but occasionally I need
to write a document in Hebrew; I have Hebrew set up as the CTL language. I am
using the fonts that came with openSuSE v10.2; i am assuming that these are
Unicode fonts, and that they support a Hebrew character set, but I have no real
basis for believing this. "Enabled for complex text layout" is checked, but is
greyed out, which looks suspicious to me.

In Tools > Options > LanguageSettings > Languages I see no way to toggle
explicitly between Western and CTL languages. Simply setting alignment to the
Right margin does not switch to CTL, but I didn't really expect it to do so.

What have I overlooked? Or what have the writers of the documentation failed to
make sufficiently explicit to penetrate my consciousness?