On Saturday 01 September 2007 12:12:19 pm Stan Goodman wrote:
> ** Reply to message from Frank Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on
> Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:30:08 -0600
>
> > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 10:25:25 -0400
> >
> > John Locke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > After poking around, I did find
> > > that you can launch Calc, Impress etc from the File  New  dialog in
> > > Writer however that seems kinda klugy to always need to run Writer
> > > first.
> >
> > That's how it's done.
>
> The reason it seems kludgy is that you are perceiving Writer, Calc,
> etc. as a group of applications, which is not what they are. There is
> only one application, which has a repertoir of behaviors; aspects, if
> you will. When you enter Write (arbitrarily chosen as the default
> behavior) and elect Calc, for example, you are not switching to a
> different program; it only looks that way. You are altering the
> behavior of the single application called OOo.
>
> With that, however, entering the OOo program through the Write behavior
> doesn't seem aesthetic to me either. And sure enough, in SuSE Linux,
> clicking on the OOo desktop icon brings up a menu through which one
> chooses the behavior (Write, Calc, etc.) desired at the moment.
> Evidently those who ported the suite to various OSes had their own
> preferences.

It appears that this behavior is only in the MAC because it does not do
that in Linux or Windows. You do not have to go through Writer to get to
the rest of the program. You can start anywhere you want too start.

--
http://24.197.142.167/ See the OpenOffice.org FAQ
Microsoft users go to http://www.pclinuxos.com for a great user friendly