"Full stop" is what we in the States call a "period" or "dot" I believe Debbie is entering dates as 2007.08.13 and seeing 8/13/07 (Very ugly, that.)

Anyway, to format dates, choose Format->Cells select the Numbers tab and the Date Category, then enter YYYY.MM.DD in the Format Code box and click the OK button. I think someone else will have to help on making the default format for all dates for all your spreadsheets.

HTH,
Donald.

Richard Detwiler wrote:
Debbie Cooper wrote:
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a query please? I am using your open office and I am finding it really wonderful. My query is when I am using the equivalent programme to Microsoft Excel and have a spread sheet, I am unsure of which icon is used to find the "sum of". With Excel i highlighted a collumn, then pressed "sum of" and it added the whole collumn up for me. How do i do this with your programme please?

There are two basic ways of summing numbers: writing a formula manually, and using the autosum button (the upper case Greek letter sigma).

Let's say you have 10 numbers, in cells A1 through A10, and you want the sum of them to be displayed in cell A12. To enter a formula for the sum manually, go to A12 and enter =sum(A1:A10) and press Enter.

To use the Autosum button, again go to cell A12. Click on the Autosum button. The autosum will in this case correctly surmise that you want to sum the 10 cells above A12 (actually, it will also think you want to include A11 in the sum, but since that is blank, it doesn't matter). So just press Enter, then you have the sum.
Also in my spread sheet I am putting the date in as follows: day,month, year, with a full stop between them. It is at present converting this into month,day, year with a forward slash (/) between them. How can I stop this?
Thank you for your help
Debbie Cooper

I'm not sure what you mean by a full stop between them. Can you clarify?

In general, it is possible to format cells to display dates in different styles. (Format > Cells > Numbers > Date)