John Meyer wrote:
Harold Fuchs wrote:
Slightly off topic but of interest, I think. Sorry if it's old news - I've
been away.

Okay, forgive me for being the idjit on this one, but given Microsoft's proprietary nature, why in the world would it want to make OOXML an "open standard"? As one poster put it on that blog, all of Microsoft's other formats have become more or less de facto and they haven't been opened up. And as far as the "competing on standards", that's like saying you're going to compete on languages to my thinking.
Portions of the OOXML standard from MS call for the insertion of binary data in proprietary MS formats. For example, windows meta-files. So, full support of OOXML can only be done by MS. The ODF also has binary data, but this is always in standard formats such as JPG and PNG.

Portions of the standard say things such as "Implement this as though it came from a Word document", without indicating what the behavior should be. Not acceptable.

If OOXML is adopted, this is a big win for MS, because their standard is very complicated and so even if I wanted to implement the standard, it would take at least a year to do so. The OOXML standard looks more like MS came up with something that worked in Office 2007 and then said "Yeah, the output from Office 2007, that is the standard." If they had done that, at least it would not have contained errors.

The end game for MS is that they want people to adopt their standard, which would allow a government to dictate that a standard be used for data storage, and still have vendor lock-in.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm