On Tuesday 18 September 2007 05:37:44 pm James Knott wrote:
> Those who have Lotus Smart Suite files may be interested in this.  As I
> understand it, it's Smart Suite updated to work with ODF.
>
> http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa

However, be prepared to give it some room LOTS of room.

The install requires around 480 MB and the download itself is 223 MB!  (for
Linux that is).
I think the Windoze install is 133 MB.

Why the space difference?  I have no idea.  However, I have installed it on a
slower single proc WinXP machine with 512 MB RAM and it is SLOW to say the
least.

I'm downloading the Linux version now to try on my DualCore Laptop w/2GB of
RAM.  We'll see how it goes.

The interesting thing about this package is that it harps back to the
StarOffice 5.2 days.  If any of you have been around long enough to remember
the single window in which all your docs, etc. opened, you'll quickly
recognize Symphony.

In the Windows version I did not see a way to open a new Window, so it appears
you are stuck to the single instance.  (Which took up over 80 MB of RAM with
no docs loaded in Windoze BTW, not to mention the 12 MB of RAM the "soffice"
executable consumed).  It appeared to open MSO files with very little
problems, even though it gave me a warning about incompatibility.  It also
opened OOo files, but I haven't had an opportunity to test it with Lotus
WordPro files yet.

Having just finished the Linux setup
1. you have to download the 223 MB .bin file.
2. you have to add executible permissions to the file.
3. run the .bin file to extract the setup files.
4. change to the "IBM_Lotus_Symphony_Linux" directory and run ./setup.bin
5. Follow the prompts after the java install routine loads.

After the install finishes you'll have a chance to start a doc, spreadsheet,
or presentation.  If you did the install as root (recommended) you'll just
want to close it down.

You'll find the icons in your "office" submenu in the Kmenu.
Now, off to test out the beast. . . .

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.