James Knott wrote:
Mike wrote:
Hi, I just downloaded and installed OpenOffice.org2.3 in my program
files, but I have no idea what it does or how to try it.  I left
unchecked the open microsoft word doc's - until I know what this
program is all about.  Is there something I need to click or do to
try it?  How do I get an Icon on the desktop?  What should I read
to get beginning user information?  So far I just get directed to
where to register & what do I want to contribute?? Hope you can
shed some light on this - Thank You, Mike

There should be an OpenOffice folder and icons in your Start menu. Those icons can be used to start the word processor (Writer), spread sheet (Calc) etc. You can create a shortcut for any of them, as you would any other icon in the start menu. Those checks are simply to
tell Windows which is the default application for opening Microsoft
Office files.  It sets the file associations and they can easily
changed at another time.  You don't have to register, if you don't
want to.  Just select "Already registered".  Donations to OpenOffice
are entirely optional.  It's up to you to decide if you wish to
donate some money and how much.

Hi Mike

You may like to look at the "Getting Started Guide" on http://documentation.openoffice.org/ also.