On 24/10/2007, T.T.I. Your Way2eBay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am using version 2,3.0 of OpenOffice.org. My problem is a question:
>
>   OK, I want or need to know if the Open Office software that everyone can
> download for FREE on the Open Office web site can be sold on eBay as a
> download. In the meaning of being distributed as a download and sold as a
> download link.
>
>   The reason I ask this question is that I see so many people selling a
> link to download what is Free to do at the Open Office web site. I do know
> that Open Office can be sold by way of a CD or a DVD.
>
>   I just do not think it is right that many are selling your software as a
> download that you always have offered for Free.
>
>   Please reply so I may follow up on this at eBay.
>
>   Thanks in advance.
>
>   Mr. Lee Brewer
>   A community member
>
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>   3:00 PM CST Texas
>   10/24/2007
>
>   users@openoffice.org <users@openoffice.org>

It *is* legal to sell OpenOffice.

Some people sell it on CD for a nominal fee. This is a service to those with
slow/expensive/unreliable internet connections.

Some people sell enhanced versions of the software. Some sell it with
training and/or support.

Unfortunately the support *some* people sell it with is this free support
list staffed by volunteers. Some sell it simply to make money out of others'
foolishness. Legal but unethical. Caveat emptor.

Read the licence, easily understandable by non-lawyers, at
http://about.openoffice.org/index.html#licenses

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England