I just installed OOo 2.3, with Java, and it did indeed install a slightly
older copy of Java. (installed Java 6.0.2, although I already had Java
6.0.3installed).  But the OOo install ADDS its version of Java; it
does NOT
replace versions you already have installed.  And the OOo 2.3 "remembered"
my settings from 2.2, and kept the options I had selected under Tools >
Options > Java, so OOo will still use the newer version of Java, and I can
delete the one just installed.  No problems.

-- John Viestenz