> It was my understanding that I could use open office and the document I
> send out could be open by others not useing Open Office, but could open in
> with MS Word.

Your understanding is correct, but you need to ensure that you use the 'save
as' feature and select the .doc extension.

  Am I right? If so the documents I sent out had a extension of .odt and
> could not be opened with word programs.

If you are emailing documents try : file > send > email as Micrsoft word

  Please let me know if I'm wrong, cause this will be a problem for me.

More about learning the differences between OOo and MS Office than being
wrong.

  Thank you,
>   Ed Herout

You can of course offer OOo to all those you send emails to and save
yourself the hassel of sending large files unnecessarily (.odt files are
much smaller than .doc 'normally').

/paul

--
Processing Key for cracking HD DVD's:
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0