Tom hasn't replied yet to the very informative and supportive feedback he has gotten. Maybe he is completely stunned, as I was at first, at the idea that something so good is completely free, no strings attached.

I do a lot of spreadsheet stuff, especially around tax time, and even though the cell formula syntax is a little different I am finding that OOo Calc is just as good, and in many ways even better, than the expensive retail equivalent out of Redmond, WA. Serious users of the not to be named retail spreadsheet application probably know of longstanding accuracies in some of the higher math and statistical functions. From what I can tell in my admittedly limited testing, OOo 2.3 seems to not have some of these bugs. That sells me. If OOo can handle complex math better, it can certainly handle the basic arithmetical stuff that almost all of us use a spreadsheet for in the first place. Like doing taxes, for example :)

So Mr. Phillips, use OOo in your shops and save a whole bunch of money in IT costs. IIRC, Fortune magazine actually recommended that companies turn more to open source software like OOo to save money.

Les

Jo wrote:
Phillips, Tom wrote:

Hi,

I work for a convenience store chain and would like to avoid the cost of installing Office on the PCs in our 40 locations. I read the licenses and I am still not sure what I need to do. I downloaded the software but not sure what license to register for. We would mainly use the software for spreadsheets we created at the office. Some stores may create their own spreadsheets. The stores would use Writer to create memos. We would not be distributing outside of our company. Please let me know what my next step is.

You can even put OpenOffice.org on a CD-R and pass it to customers as a service and it is not even forbidden to charge like 1, 5 or 10 euros/dollars for expenses for it. You can also try to charge 500, but you can't forbid your customer to give it away for free or start selling it him/herself to somebody else.

Jo