I don't expect to find a dictionary that can interpret where a special character is needed, but would like a quick way while I'm typing to add these characters.

What is possible/what do you suggest? Thanks

The AltGr key opens up a keyboard-based route to most European accented characters. I created myself a little layout chart to help me remember which key is which and I have it sellotaped to a shelf over my desk for easy reference. Unfortunately it seems to depend slightly too much on the keyboard you start with so I have one for my Linux PC at work and another for my Mac (NeoOffice) at home. I also note that the Mac one is well out of date.