Bruce Korb wrote:
Hi,

I can open MSO files and print them, but as soon as I try to save or close
the file, it hangs hard.  I tried a ``kill -BUS'' to get a core dump, but it was
cleverly caught and went back into a hang trying to save files.  ``kill -TERM''
fixed it, but there aren't any cores.

$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

Oh, cool.  I just fired up ``soffice --version'' and it decided to
run.  Further,
it decided I needed to go through the "first time usage" all over again,
grilling me for the same information all over again.  And it is locked up
tight.  I'll probably have to blow away ~/.openoffice* again just to be able
to view stuff again.

So, I am happy with the thing on my SuSE installation.  On this Fedora
platform, it's horse dung.  Surely others have had this problem?  To try
to be sure it was not a dinkleberry problem, I had blown away
my ~/.openoffice* directory and completely removed all vestiges of
the prior installation.  Then I downloaded the 2.3 release and installed
it with no strange options.  The "recommended neophyte" install.
This should also be a fairly benign FC-5 installation also.  So, anyone
else had similar problems?  :(

Thanks! - Bruce

Are you using the version of OOo that came with FC5? I ask this as Fedora modifies OOo due to licensing issues. I never installed FC5 on any machine. Also note that FC5 is not supported anymore. Heck FC6 only has a few weeks until it reaches EOL.

Have you setup a new user and tried that? This will point to either the users configuration files or a system wide issue.

Also you can use rpm to check the install to see if anything is wrong.

FWIW, I find that OOo does have some issues with damaged files.

--
Robin Laing