mike scott wrote:
On 30 Nov 2007 at 10:57, web kracked wrote:
I still haven't figured out why anyone would want a stack of punchcards.
*shudder*

Shudder - right. My first computer job was to "type" up data on punch cards.
Never, ever drop them.

There are worse things. I had a colleague once hold a 9inch-wide reel of 8-track paper tape (the output from a day's radio telescope observations; that's a while ago :-) ) and show me how prettily it unwound from the middle........

At least punch cards were just the right size to fit the back trouser pocket - ideal for odd notes and reminders. Never did find a use for used paper tape :-(

Both the paper tape and punch card chad were excellent for placing in someone's defroster vent. ;-)

Also, used paper tape could be used for decorating an office party.  :-)

I also used pieces of unpunched paper tape to demonstrate the moebius strip.