----- Original Message ----- From: "James Knott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Re: Use of open office.

Frank Cox wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:49:01 -0600
Larry Gusaas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    If distribution of object code is made by offering access to copy
    from a designated place, then offering equivalent access to copy the
    source code from the same place satisfies the requirement to
    distribute the source code, even though third parties are not
    compelled to copy the source along with the object code.
    http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/lgpl_license.html#SEC3

To my reading, this says that if you offer the program by saying "download it
from over there" then as long as the source code is also available "over
there", you're fine license-wise.

However,
   4. You may copy and distribute the Library (or a portion or
 >   derivative of it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form
 >   under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you
  >  accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source

This is what applies if you do more than say "get it over there" and instead say "Here is a copy" and hand it to them on a disk or pre-installed on their
computer.

I suppose I could give it to them on punch cards or 9 track tape.  ;-)