I can make a slide show using impress allowing the presenter to time
the showing of the next slide. No problems there.

But I assume presentations are strictly linear, and it's not possible
to change the slide order by /simple/ means /during/ a presentation.
It's the Christmas season, and I've a colleague looking at making an
informal quiz: the idea would be to display a screen with a question,
then depending on whether an answer was correct or not, to press
"button A" or "button B" to determine the next slide shown (eg tick or
cross displayed, plus sound effects), before returning to the next
'question' screen.

Obviously, this could be done in edit mode, but it's not really
appropriate to display the edit screen for a live quiz (even if
educational :-)  )

If, as I assume, this isn't possible readily with OOo, can anyone offer
an alternative possibility please?

(Needless to say, he's left this rather late..... needs sorting within
a week or so. No pressure :-)  )
--
various incoming sites blocked because of spam; see
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk for a list and openpgp crypto key