Yes, text boxes can rotate in OpenOffice Writer. Here's how:

  Click on VIEW > TOOLBARS > DRAWING
Click on the “T” for Text
Drag from upper left to lower right to draw your text box.
[The Drawing Toolbar default docking will be at the bottom of the screen,
though you can dock it wherever you like.]
Right click on the text box and choose “Position and Size.”
Click on the “Rotation” Tab, either click on various positions on the box,
calibrated at 45°, or enter the degrees of any angle you choose.
If you want vertical text, narrow the text box to the width of one letter.
You can fine tune your effects with other choices under “Position and Size.”
You can also click on the Fontwork button whIle your text box is selected for
additional options.

  HTH

mike scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  On 11 Dec 2007 at 10:11, Hap wrote:

(to me, apparently not to the list!)

> Hi Mike,
>
> My printer ( HP Deskjet 692 C ),actually shows an instruction right on the
> tray that pictures the envelope with it's flap side up with the flap to the
> right.There's even an arrow showing how to insert it. It has worked for years
> with Microsoft's WORD program.
OK, I stand corrected. All the printers I've used have gone in flap
first - I've always presumed to avoid paper jams.

> However, seeing as how I was using Word 97, the new insertion of the latest
> Microsoft Windows XP ( Home edition ) will not accept the CD rom that is used
> to install Word 97 as I always did in the past.
>
> With your program, I have been trying to follow the instructions in "help",
> by clicking on "insert", then on "envelopes". It prints o.k. but not on the
> right part of the envelope. It actually prints PART of the information but
> across the bottom of the envelope, not the front surface as needed.
>
> There MUST be a way to do this. I did not understand what you meant by
> "landscaping". I am using a standard business sized envelope ( 9 x 4 ).

AFAIK OOo expects an envelope in the orientation I described, top edge
first which will be physically landscape for a DL or C6 (I've no way of
knowing where the flap is on your 9x4 !), but with the page and paper
set to 'portrait' (the defaults) - I also use 'new document' each time.
You get a view before printing that allows you some capability to
format the text. /Unfortunately/ the address is in a text box, and you
can't rotate this :-( (IMO a misfeature in writer is that text boxes
don't rotate.)

I can only suggest you experiment with a sheet of A4 or similar, mark
'this way up' in pencil first, and run some trial envelope prints and
play with the OOo page orientation (switch between portrait and
landscape) and see where the print comes out.

(Actually thinking again, even DL can have a long-edge or short-edge
flap - I confess I've never used the latter. No doubt some
experimentation would be needed.)
--
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk lists incoming sites blocked because of
spam