James Elliott - WA Rural Computers wrote:
One annoying thing I find when editing formulas is this ...
in the formula: =SUMPRODUCT( Debits ; Category="p" ; Date>=D4 ; Date<=D5 ) if I want to change the category from "p" to "v", when I type the "v" it autocorrects to "Vlookup()" and I get:
=SUMPRODUCT( Debits ; Category="Vlookup()" ; Date>=D4 ; Date<=D5 )

Ugh; that's terrible. Calc should never complete anything inside a string. I think that could be filed as a bug, as it would never be the right thing to do, but it may be hard to make the completion aware of the formula context.

When the completion fires off inappropriately, you can type Ctrl+z to undo it. The edit of the string will remain.

You can turn the completion off altogether with Tools > Cell Contents > AutoInput = OFF

You might miss that for your data entry, but once you have your formulas in place, you can turn it back on for entering data.

If you're editing your formula routinely to change the code, then you'll want to follow Joe Connors' advice and use a cell reference instead of a literal string, then enter your code in the other cell.

<Joe