On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 04:52:31 -0800
chris degenhardt wrote:

> To whom it concerns:
> Thank you for ooo.
> I am using ooo 2.3. My problem is I cannot open emails with a
> powerpoint extension. Will I have to re-install PP or is there
> something I can do to open them up in ooo Impress?

Two possibilities:

One is that you have a particularly complex PowerPoint presentation you
are trying to open. As Microsoft has not released details of the files
inner workings, the reverse engineering is not perfect. Consequently
complex presentations can still catch other programs trying to read this
format out.

The second is that you have recieved the file in the new Office XML
format from Office 2007. If this is the case it will have one of the
following extensions.
    * pptx - PowerPoint 2007 XML Presentation
    * pptm - PowerPoint 2007 Macro-Enabled XML Presentation
    * potx - PowerPoint 2007 XML Template
    * potm - PowerPoint 2007 Macro-Enabled XML Template
    * ppam - PowerPoint 2007 Macro-Enabled XML Add-In
    * ppsx - PowerPoint 2007 XML Show
    * ppsm - PowerPoint 2007 Macro-Enabled XML Show
In this case you will have to ask the user to re-send using a .ppt or
.pps extension (office 2003 format). The above files are pretty much
only usefull to users of Office 2007. Some limited support for the new
Office XML formats is expected in OO.o 2.4.0.

Both possibilities are examples of vendor lock-in used to prevent users
switching to an alternative product.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in
If Microsoft was prepared to support the International ISO standard ODF
file formats this would not occur.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416