On 14/01/2008, Michael Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:24:46 -0800
> Jose Millan wrote:
>
> > I'm using OpenOffice at home, but sometimes I work at home and have
> > Word 2007 docx sent to me as files.  I can't open the docx files with
> > OpenOffice. Can you help?
> >

> Yes, get the originator of the email to resend the files in .DOC format.
> They will have many issues with this, especially as .DOCX is not widely
> supported (even by earlier versions of Microsoft Office).
>
> They are the victim of vendor lock-in.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in
> Don't let them make it your issue.
>
> OO.o 2.4.0 is expected to have some support for Microsofts proprietary
> XML format.

That means, that the person sending you the documents should do one of
the following:
1) Save in Word 2000/2003/XP format (that's what Michael suggested).
2) Install the ODF plugin for MS Office (better solution).
3) Export to a standard format such as PDF, HTML, or plain text.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.