On 22/01/2008, Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Now let me ask you, why is it more environmentally friendly to have
> > smaller file sizes? I need to know, so that I can make that point. I
> > myself don't really see how that is more environmentally friendly.
>
> Easy. Think processor time, energy, cooling in the NOC, in each
> and every point on the path from me to thee.
>
> A 2MB file, as in the example mentioned, consumes just about
> 2,000 times as much energy as does a plain text file of 1KB.
>
> Besides, think of the energy used by your own machine just to
> open the bloat.
>
> One message? No big deal, just pico cents. Nine billion messages
> a day (a figure I read recently); however is a *BIG* deal, like
> maybe a barrel or two of oil, don't you think?
>
> Besides which it is much, much more secure to use plain text
> e-mail. No hidden scripts, no funny re-directs to malware sites, etc.
>
> Best,
>
> Allen

Thanks, Allen. That's a tough one to swallow. I can imagine that the
processor time would have been spent doing something else, like a
screensaver, if not downloading the file. There are many reasons not
to use doc files, but environmental reasons are a bit far fetched in
my opinion.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il