Marc Swartz wrote:
> Hi - I am a person who knows/understands little about
> computers/printers/programs.  I just recently purchased a business
> notebook/HP and am now going to be using Open Office 2.3.  I have been
> researching other software and printers.  It seems like compatability is
> always an issue.  Most comments include Microsoft Vista these days but we
> didn't want to support them so we went with Open Office.
>
> Could you recommend or make suggestions to what software might be compatable
> to Open Office having to do with photography and home projects (calendars,
> homeschooling, newsletters)?  and printers, too?  I am just concerned about
> buying something and then finding it doesn't work because of Microsoft
> requirements.

You are apparently confused about certain things.  OpenOffice is an
application, which requires an operating system, such as Windows, Linux
or other to run on.  It is the operating system that hardware has to be
compatible with and then the application can make use of those printers
etc, by going through the operating system.  Since you just purchased
that computer, it's likely your operating system is Vista, the latest
version of Microsoft Windows.  The other software you mentioned for
photography etc., are also applications that run on an operating system
and have little to do with OpenOffice.  So again, you'd look for
software that will run on Vista to use with your computer.

While it is possible to buy a computer without Windows, most people
don't know about that option.  Also, many who do buy with Windows are
asking for XP, instead of Vista, because of the problems caused by Vista.