Marc Swartz wrote:
> Hi - THanks for your reply.  We did buy our computer without an operating
> system - Vista was an option but we didn't want to support Microsoft.  That's
> why we were looking at Open Office.  Is that not the compatable system?  Our
> computer turns on but there is nothing on it except start up information that
> we backed up.  I will contact the office where we bought it to find out what
> we need to do.  Thanks for any advise and suggestions.
>
> grace and peace,
>
> Holly Swartz

While it is possible to buy a computer without an operating system, it's
not done that way by most users.  Computers need an operating system on
which to run applications, such as OpenOffice.  If you do in fact have a
computer without any operating system, you may want to consider Linux,
which is the most popular alternative to Microsoft Windows.  You'll have
to download and install a Linux distribution on your computer.  There
are many to choose from.  I use OpenSUSE, which is available from
www.opensuse.org.  Another popular distribution, particularly for
beginners, is Ubuntu www.ubuntu.com.  There are many others available.
Most come with OpenOffice included.  Do you know anyone who runs Linux?
If so, they may be able to assist you.

Please remember, applications, such as OpenOffice, have to run on an
operating system, such as Windows (XP, Vista etc.) Linux, BSD, Solaris
etc.  Without an operating system, a computer isn't much use.

Perhaps if you post your general location, there may be someone on this
list, close to you, who can provide better assistance.