To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:47 AM
Subject: Re: [users] OOo-Base error.?

James Elliott - WA Rural Computers wrote:
I don't know if this list's mail client accepts attachments or not, but I have attached an OOo Draw document containing a screen print of the error message I get when trying to open tables in my OOo-2.3.1-Base database

Yes I got the attachment.

I am running OOo 2.3.1 under Windows XP SP2 and have tried differing ways of opening the .odg file: double clicking on the file name; right clicking on the birds icon in the System Tray and selecting Open Document; and trying to open my database from within a Writer document ('New'). In each case, the database does come up with 'Forms' selected. When I click on 'Tables', I get the attached error message.

That makes sense in that the connection to the database is not established when the file is opened, but put off until any data is actually required. Form names do not require this, but a list of table names in GUI does.

I wrote about this before and Helen kindly suggested turning my computer on and off again, and that did, indeed. fix the problem and I was able to find and edit my tables. However, I have several jobs simultaneously on the go at the moment, and it is not convenient to shutdown my computer, and it shouldn't be necessary to do so.

IN A NUTSHELL ...
I can open my database but not find or open any tables for editing.

Has anyone any further ideas on why this might be happening?

Many thanks,  James
Is it just this one ODB file that does this - and is there any rhyme or reason to a pattern here - you say sometimes it is fine other times this.

Personally I have never had that particular error message - although it was a known problem, in previous releases, with lock files being left open when using the quickstarter. Not the same error message but somewhat similar behavior. That has, for the most part, been cleared up, but I would have to check if the correction is actually in Base or the use of a newer JRE, 1.6x in other words.

First question - do you run Quickstarter - and if you do- then if you kill all instances of open windows and quickstarter - then open the file does that clear the error?