Steve Pachal wrote:
I just tried starting the installation again and after leaving the laptop
alone for well over 8 hours after starting the install, I receive no error
message, and also no indication that it has finished or even done anything.

I just tried to open an Excel spreadsheet that I had previously saved with
the last version of OpenOffice and it does not recognize the file type and
brings up the prompt to search for an application that can open that type of
file.

I'm really stumped as to how to get this resolved, and I need to be able to
open both MS Office and OpenOffice files!

When you do the install, do you go through a series of configuration panels? Does it show up in Add/Remove programs?