Steve Pachal wrote:
Hi James,

I do see two windows pop up.  One says it is gathering required info, and
the other says that it is preparing installation.  After that, I get
nothing.  I did have a look in Add/Remove, and I do see OpenOffice.org 2.3,
but I still am unable to open any documents.  With this discovery, perhaps
the install is beginning properly but then after it's told the Add/Remove to
put a listing of it in there, it decides to stop?

Do you see a folder anywhere in your Start menu for OpenOffice? Can you try a file search for writer or calc?

What happens if you tell add/remove software to uninstall and then try reinstalling?