2008/2/27, Guy Voets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> 2008/2/24, Daniel Thornton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

> > My problem is that I have not found an efficient way to type in French
> > using OpenOffice. I know I can insert a symbol but this is far too
> tedious.
> > What is the most efficient way to type French characters?

How do you type them in other applications? It should be exactly the same
with OpenOffice.

Is the problem that you have a non French keyboard? In that case there are
several ways to solve that problem, choose one of them or none:

   - Buy a French keyboard, connect it to your computer and change the
   keyboard settings. You didn't say what operating system you are using, but
   this should be doable in every operating system.
   - Don't buy a French keyboard but change the keyboard settings anyway.
   Now some keys are not what they look like, so you might want to make labels
   and attach them on the keys.
   - Create your own keyboard configuration file. This is the method I
   used myself to make my favourite characters easily available on my keyboard.
   Actually I made almost all my keys to include 4 different characters and I
   skipped all numbers on the first row, since I found it unnecessary to have
   numbers at two different places. So now I have music symbols, some Greek
   characters and other stuff easily avalable using the AltGr key and/or shift
   key. This method makes it necessary to print labels to attach to almost all
   the keys, otherwise it's almost impossible to remember where all the "odd"
   characters are located. I don't know which operating systems makes this
   option doable. Only that I did it in Ubuntu 7.10 and that I can easily
   switch back to my default settings or any other language setting of those
   installed on my computer.

It's hard to know what method works best for you, since we don't know much
about your system. What do you have now? A US keyboard? Operating system =
Windows of some taste or maybe BSD or what? Do your keyboard have "dead"
characters? In that case you can easily create some characters, for example
if you want to create an ë, first hit ¨, then e, which makes it easy to type
extremely common "words", such as Citroën... Same with the ´ and ` key,
which makes it possible to create characters like áàń and so on. Now I don't
know if those are French or whatever, but you get the idea, right?

Johnny Rosenberg
Linux Ubuntu 7.10
Swedish keyboard

This reply was created with character encoding set to UTF-8, so if some
characters doesn't look right your are using another character encoding.