-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [users] How to tell if OP gets the message?
From: Alan Boba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@openoffice.org, Harold Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu 20 Mar 2008 22:18:47 EST

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 5:55 AM, Harold Fuchs
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > Forwarding to unsubscribed user.

Harold thank you for forwarding, I think. I presume it was necessary
for the OP to receive my reply. But why was it necessary? In my mail
client, gmail on Firefox, DREWGO's initial inquiry has the subject
"[users] $$"

The message I'm referring to was from DREWGO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
dated Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:29 PM, with subject "[users] $$"

My understanding has been that if the subject contains "[users]" then
it is from a subscribed poster and if it contains "[users]
[moderated]" it is from an unsubscribed poster.

Hi Alan,

Not all posts from non-subscribed users have the subject line modified with the [moderated] tag. I don't know why this is not applied to all such posts, as it would make them much easier to identify if they were.

The only way to definitively identify messages from non-subscribed posters is to check for a specific line in the message headers. The header of every post contains the line:

Many list subscribers, such as Harold and myself, use email client software (eg. Thunderbird) which has the ability to filter on this additional line and highlight or isolate these messages in some way. In my case I have created a filter for this which displays the subject line in bright red.

Unfortunately, this option is not normally available to those who choose to access the copy of this list via Usenet with a newsreader.

Hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Dave