At 09:19 19/03/2008 -0700, Pete J. 'Danita' Metcalf wrote:
I am a new user running OpenOffice 2.3. in a Windows XP environment. IE (Internet Explorer) is rejecting all internet inquires originating from within OpenOffice applications. For example, when attempting to Register following the installation of the OpenOffice suite, IE is opened and responds with error Cannot find openoffice.org/welcome/registration20.html. IE then sits idle in Connecting mode. The openoffice.org address however has been loaded into the drop down address bar and when selected IE then goes directly to the OpenOffice.org Home site. When the extensions are attached manually, IE then takes you to the Registration site. I have found this on all other attempts to get to an internal OpenOffice location via IE from within OpenOffice. Is this a bug?

This is not the general behaviour of OpenOffice with Internet Explorer, so there must be something peculiar about your system. My guess is that your firewall is creating this effect. My firewall certainly treats attempts by other applications to use Internet Explorer as suspicious and asks for my approval in each case. Is it possible that you have declined a previous similar attempt by OpenOffice (or perhaps another application) to use IE in this way and asked your firewall to remember this? Or that your firewall simply needs explicitly configuring to permit this particular activity?

When you stimulate IE to go directly to the web address (albeit inserted by the previous attempt), you are not using this indirect technique, of course, and your firewall would be expected to be happy to allow access in this case.

This is something of a guess, but I trust it helps.

Brian Barker