Everything worked once I did a "Clean Installation" as was suggested. Thanks, for the help!

Dean

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [users] Upgrading
Date:   Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:58:01 +0100
From:   Manfred J. Krause <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     users@openoffice.org
CC:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[fwd to users@openoffice.org - mjk
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:43:51 -0500
From: Dean Mellstrom
To: "Manfred J. Krause"]

Hi Dean,

[Please reply *only* to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Manfred J. Krause wrote:
 On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Dean Mellstrom wrote:

>> Apparently when uninstalling an older version of OpenOffice, (2.2, etc)
>> the registry still contains a lot of entries.   Consequently, when
>> upgrading to the new version (2.3) the program freezes... some files
>> cannot be located, etc.
>>
>> How can I completely clean out a previous version from my computer so
>> I can use ver 2.3 successfully?  Right now, I am unable to get O/O
>> to work at all.

> Usually there's no need to uninstall an older version of OOo.
> What about error messages?

 Hi, Manfred,

There are no error messages at all other than "not responding".
None of the modules work. I've reinstalled 2.2 and it doesn't work either.
I've just uninstalled it again and will try 2.3.

I looked at the registry entries for OpenOffice, and see numerous entries
for 2.2.  I don't know how to clean everything out and start over without
reformatting the hard drive.  Due to other applications that are installed,
I don't want to do this.

You may try as follows (no guarantee ...)  ->

(1) Verifying in Windows Task manager, whether soffice.bin
is active. If necessary, closing the process manually.

(2) Removing the currently installed version of OOo
in 'Add/Remove programs'.

(3) Renaming the 'user directory' from <user> to e.g. <user_old>
[ see also  ->
'Starting Over with a Clean Installation'
<http://blogs.sun.com/oootnt/entry/starting_over_with_a_clean> ]

(4) Reboot. Applying a soft 'registry cleaner' like 'CCleaner'
[ see  -> <http://www.ccleaner.com/> ]

(5) If necessary, removing the remaining folders and files
in the 'program directory', that means: deleting the 'program folder'.

(6) Reboot. Installing OOo 2.3.1.

If that fails, please come back here to <users@openoffice.org>
(as possible with some details ...).

I really hate to go back to using MS Office and am tempted to go to
Linux if it wasn't for the high-dollar applications already owned.

No comment ...  ;-)

 Thanks for your help,

 Dean

Manfred

P.S.
For further information  ->
(1) Installation FAQ
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Installation>
(2) Automatic Installation of OpenOffice.org on Using the Windows Installer
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Automatic_Installation_on_Windows>
(3) Getting Started Guide
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Getting_Started>

<http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html>